birding-aus

Sea-watch from Magic Pt, Maroubra - 5th March 2005

To: <>
Subject: Sea-watch from Magic Pt, Maroubra - 5th March 2005
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:26:27 +1100

Yesterday afternoon, David Mitford and I spent a few hours sea watching from Magic Pt, Maroubra (about 10km south of the Sydney CBD). But despite moderate south-easterly winds prevailing in the afternoon, there were much few numbers of birds than expected under these conditions.

During this time, we counted no more than a hundred Wedge-tailed Shearwaters (unlike hundreds or even thousands on the previous weekends). I even started to count more Fleshy-footed Shearwaters than Wedge-tailed’s in my first half hour. There was also only one LONG-TAILED JAEGER amongst the 3 species of Jaeger seen, though I did not expect to match my 64 seen last Saturday. There was also much few Pomarine Jaeger’s counted yesterday than on previous weekends. However, there were more Australasian Gannets about which corresponds to the same pattern with our sea- watching visits last year.

A Fur-seal was also seen loafing about a km from shore, and there was lots of feeding flocks of birds comprising Silver Gulls (in their hundreds) with a few shearwaters and other birds amongst them.

The species and minimum numbers seen from Magic Pt this afternoon were:

Fairy Penguin (2 heard calling below Magic Pt)

Wedge-tailed Shearwater (70)

Fleshy-footed Shearwater (8)

Short-tailed Shearwater (13)

Australasian Gannet (75)