birding-aus

Autumn birds in the Capertee Valley

Subject: Autumn birds in the Capertee Valley
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:55:37 +1100
Hi all,

I spent the weekend camping on my block in the Capertee Valley, enjoying the peace and catching up with friends.

How dramatically the landscape changes. Last year I was writing about the drought, the dusty, parched paddocks and the dams drying up. Now, my kilometre-long driveway has almost disappeared amid a flourish of green thigh-high grass and the dams are nearly overflowing, the highest I've seen them in the 15 months since I've had the place. Numerous large branches and a couple of trees have come down in the recent storms.

As for birds, after a few quiet weeks the place has come alive again with the constant calling of Noisy Friarbirds and Little Lorikeets feeding in the flowering mistletoe. There are also plenty of Black-chinned & Striped Honeyeaters and Dusky Woodswallows, and a few Rainbow Bee-eaters moving through. I found Turquoise Parrots and Painted Button-quails near the back dam. Also up in the back section were some wonderful mixed flocks which included a new species for the property, Brown Thornbills. An immature Superb Lyrebird had crossed the fire trail and was singing loudly, much lower down the hill than usual.

Not all the migrants have left. A Sacred Kingfisher only came to my attention when it suddenly swooped at a large Lace Monitor which was watching me watching it climb a nearby tree.

Best of all were the raptors, with no less than 6 species moving through during the short hours I was on the property. These included a Whistling Kite (another new one for the property), Collared Sparrowhawk, Black-shouldered Kite, the resident Brown Falcon, Nankeen Kestrel and the highlight, a beautiful SPOTTED HARRIER quartering my neighbour's paddock, flushing Stubble Quail as it slowly hovered low over the grass.

Cheers,

Carol

Carol Probets
Blue Mountains NSW