birding-aus

Copeland/ Uralla/ Mummel Gulf/ Gloucester Tops Trip

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Copeland/ Uralla/ Mummel Gulf/ Gloucester Tops Trip
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 10:57:06 +1100
Hello all,

I've recently returned from a week long trip up to Uralla, New England Tableland, central eastern NSW. I saw a few good things but had a pretty poor hit rate for nocturnal birds which I spent many hours searching for.

Copeland Tops SCA (Mountain Maid Goldmine) (24-25/2/05)- Wompoo Fruit-dove (2), Noisy Pitta (immature), White-headed Pigeon, Russet-tailed Thrush, Emerald Dove, Regent Bowerbird (6), Green Catbird, Mixophyes balbus, Yellow-throated Scrubwren, Large-billed Scrubwren, Rose Robin.

Dangar's Lagoon (5 km S. Uralla) (25/2/05)- Aust. Shoveler, Wood Duck (with ducklings). Pretty poor diversity at the moment. I couldn't pick out one BBDuck or GCGrebe which I nearly always see here. Mind you I didn't use a telescope.

Mimi Rd (15 km SE Armidale)- Stubble Quail

Imbota NR (formerly Eastwood SF), south-east of Armidale, off Castledoyle Rd (27/2/05)- Golden Bronze-cuckoo (2), Fan-tailed Cuckoo, Eastern Yellow Robin (colour-banded bird), Speckled Warbler, Fuscous Honeyeater. We tried to find Yina NR to the north-east of Armidale without success.

Wooldridge Fossicking Reserve (on Rocky River, about 6 km West of Uralla, off the Kingstown Rd) (27/2/05)- Varied Sittella, White-eared Honeyeater, Brown Treecreeper, Fuscous Honeyeater, Musk Lorikeet.

Mummel Gulf NP and Enfield SF, west of Yarrowitch, off the Oxley Highway (Walcha to Wauchope Road) (28/2-1/3/05).- Flame Robin (at New Country Swamp and 6 km N. New Country Swamp), probable Russet-tailed Thrush, Crested Shrike-tit, Fox, Greater Glider (15), Yellow-bellied Glider (2), Sugar Glider, White-throated Needletail (4),

Enfield SF (Double Dumps Rd off Enfield Range Road) (1/3/05)- Scarlet Honeyeater, Logrunner, Yellow-throated Scrubwren

Enfield Range Rd (17.2 km S. Mummel Gulf Rd intersection) (1/3/05)- Spotted Quailthrush

Enfield Range Rd (25.5 km S. Mummel Gulf Rd intersection) (1/3/05)- Glossy Black-cockatoo

Enfield Range Rd (29.4 km S. Mummel Gulf Rd intersection) (1/3/05)- Spent a pleasant half hour in very green cattle country watching a family of Australasian Grebes in a small dam perched on a steep hillslope. Cicadabird (heard)

Enfield Range Rd (52 km S. Mummel Gulf Rd intersection) (1/3/05)- Brown Goshawk (2, immatures calling to each other and otherwise behaving like a pair). White-throated Honeyeater,

Barrington Tops NP (Gloucester Tops end) (1/3/05)- Mixophyes balbus
Gloucester Tops itself (2/3/05)- Masked Owl (1, quite vocal), Flame Robin (adults and juveniles), Satin Flycatcher, Crested Shrike-tit, Crescent Honeyeater, Eastern Whipbird (juvenile).

Gloucester Tops Rd (4.4 km E. Gloucester Tops Caravan Park)(2/3/05)- Dingo, healthy looking, lovely red-gold colour.

F3 Freeway (3 km N. Toronto T/O)(2/3/05)- White-throated Needletail

Cheers

Mick Todd

--
Michael Todd Wildlifing Images & Sounds of Nature www.wildlifing.com Toronto, NSW, Australia 04101 23715