birding-aus

BMBO Outing to Murphy's Glen, Blue Mountains

To: <>
Subject: BMBO Outing to Murphy's Glen, Blue Mountains
From: "jill dark" <>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:27:50 +1100
The Blue Mountains Bird Observers midweek walk was to Murphy's Glen at
Woodford in the Blue Montains.  It was a hot, still morning and there was
very little activity along the ridge top but the valley was alive with
birds.  As we walked down the hill we could here Pilotbirds calling all
around us but, as often happens, they remained invisible.  High overhead
White-throated Needletails circled.  I saw 2 birds but am sure there were
more.  The tree canopy was fairly dense.  As we reached the valley floor, 4
Large-billed Scrubwrens, 2 of them juveniles, foraged in the sapling growth
and a pair of Rose Robins with a begging chick came very close to the edge
of the track.  Brown Thornbills foraged in the undergrowth and we could hear
Striated Thornbills and Spotted Pardalotes high in the Blue Gums.   A
Red-browed Treecreeper hopped up the trunk of a Smooth-barked Angophora,
giving excellent views.  This was a new bird for several of our  members.  A
small group of Gang Gangs foraged in the Angophoras, but strangely there
were no King Parrots or Crimson Rosellas.  Rufous and Grey Fantails were
seen, as well as Yellow Robins, White-browed Scrubwrens and a juvenile
Fan-tailed Cuckoo.  Whipbirds called but the Lyrebirds remained silent,
although we found plenty of scratchings.  As we laboriously climbed back up
the hill, a family of Variegated Fairy-wrens entetained us.  A very pleasant
morning with a total of 25 species, not a large number, but we all agreed
they were quality birds!

Jill