birding-aus

Rainbow Lorikeets in Casuarina

To: Chris Sanderson <>
Subject: Rainbow Lorikeets in Casuarina
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:43:28 +1100
Dear Syd and Chris, and anyone else interested -
Today I checked the needles of a Casuarina which had unpruned branches
close to the ground. At the end of some of the needles - about one in
each bunch - was a tiny circular structure like a little knob on the
end. This proved to be a gall, still soft enough to split with a
finger-nail with a tiny (barely visible) white larva inside. Perhaps the
Rainbow Lorikeets were trying these?
I'm not a casuarina expert and I'm not sure that the tree is the same
species as the one next door (probably River Oak).
Anthea Fleming