birding-aus

Wandering Tattlers at Caloundra

To: <>
Subject: Wandering Tattlers at Caloundra
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:32:08 +1000
Hi all,

Russell Lamb's posting of 21 Jan about the Wandering Tattlers at Caloundra, SE
Queensland,
encouraged me to make the effort to try once more for this elusive (for me, at
least) species.
In fact, I had to make several efforts before I was successful.
Today 10th Feb I saw four Wandering Tattlers at the spot described by Russell
in his posting.
So, they are still there if anyone else wants to add this species to their list.

The birds were on the rocks of Caloundra Head (sometimes called Wickham Point)
between King's Beach
and Shelly Beach at Caloundra.
Caloundra is at the lower end of the Sunshine Coast which is a short distance
north of Brisbane.
Check out Map 100 of the Sunshine Coast section of the Brisbane Refidex street
directory.

I know all the 'local' birdos know where Caloundra is but it doesn't hurt to be
a bit helpful for
the poor old 'Mexicans'.

Just a word of caution:
I had to make three trips (70k each way) in the last three weeks before I saw
the W. Tatts so don't
blame me or send me nasty e-mails if you don't see them the first time.
High tide might be the best time but note that high tide at Caloundra is about
1.5 hours earlier
than for the Brisbane Bar.

7 Sooty Oystercatchers were also in the same area each day I was there.

Cheers
Bob Inglis
Woody Point
SE Queensland