birding-aus

Re: Breeding of Magpie Geese

Subject: Re: Breeding of Magpie Geese
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:33:44 +1100
List members may be aware that the Magpie Goose is on the list of
threatened taxa and communities under the Victorian Flora and Fauna
Guarantee Act (further information available upon request).

Most if not all observations of the species in Victoria are believed to be
a result of re-introductions or releases from various localities (e.
Serendip and South Australia).  As far as I'm aware none of the birds we
see in Victoria have arrived as a result of northern Australia birds
naturally moving down this way.  The South Australian Magpie Geese are the
result of those animals bred from Northern Territory stock many years ago.

I encourage Victorian birdos to forward their sightings of MG (and all
other birds) to the Atlas of Victorian Wildlife so we can keep track of
movements and/or extensions to range of these species.

Martin O'Brien
Executive Scientific Officer, Scientific Advisory Committee
Department of Sustainability and Environment
2/8 Nicholson St. (PO Box 500), East Melbourne  3002

Tel: 9637 9869  Fax: 9637 8451
(prefixes: Interstate 03 International 613)