birding-aus

Remnant bushland

To: <>
Subject: Remnant bushland
From: "Duncan Fraser" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 18:48:26 +1100
I have been birding for the last couple of days in 70 hectares of isolated
remnant redgum woodland east of Stratford, Vic., and it brought home to me
once again just how important these areas are. I was looking (without luck)
for a reported Forest Kingfisher, and in the process ticked 36 native
species. I could have increased this tally to over 40 by chasing up common
birds like the Willie and Magpie Lark round the edges, or a couple more
Thornbills by pushing through the undergrowth and getting covered with Spiny
Spider webs. The area is the Stratford Highway Park, which has had the road
gates locked for a couple of years now, but is freely accessible for
walkers. Any birders passing through with two or three hours to spare would
find it rewarding, there is water in the lagoon and the kangaroos have the
grass down creating an easy walking  park like environment. List below for
those interested.  Duncan Fraser, Maffra, Vic.

BTW, heaps of Jacky Winters inc. many juveniles.

Little Pied Cormorant
Australian Darter
Black Swan
Pacific Black Duck