birding-aus

Re: Mapping Software

To: <>
Subject: Re: Mapping Software
From: <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:15:43 +0000
Hi All,

Many thanks to all for your replies on where to look for Australian road map
software and online resources - it's given us a good start on where to look and
what's available.

I'm sure we will have many more Australian birding questions to ask before we
set off on our trip (September thru October).

many thanks

Pete & Sue Morrison

o go se watching (especially if you are
watching along the east coast) when the light conditions are ideal and
you can see a lot more towards the horizon. However at anytime of the
day could produce something good. The two main highlights for the
afternoon were seeing 3 STREAKED SHEARWATERS and 4 LONG-TAILED JAEGERS,
all within 2 km from the coast.

The species and minimum numbers seen yesterday were as follows:

Fairy Penguin (heard calling below Magic Pt)
Wedge-tailed Shearwater (5,000)
Short-tailed Shearwater (6)
STREAKED SHEARWATER (3)
Fluttering Shearwater (5)
Australasian Gannet (25)
Great Cormorant (3)
Pied Cormorant (1)
Pomarine Jaeger (7)
Arctic Jaeger (1)
LONG-TAILED JAEGER (4)
Silver Gull (200)
Crested Tern (30)

I would also like to note that David had on the previous day at least
one White-necked Petrel and a Buller=92s Shearwater from nearby Mistral
Point in Maroubra. There have been sightings of Streaked Shearwaters
everyday from Sydney since last Saturday with a maximum 14 Streaked
Shearwaters seen during one of the days on the weekend from Sydney
heads.

 Edwin Vella