birding-aus

Button-quail Sought by Police

To: "'Alan Morris'" <>, <>
Subject: Button-quail Sought by Police
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:02:13 +1030
Hi, my two bob's worth.

 Alan's note raises some points for me.
 Many's the time I've sought information on where to find certain birds
and found some operators very loathe to divulge the locations of their
local "specials". Whilst this can be frustrating I can also fully
understand a professional guide wanting to protect his/her product
knowledge in the same way as anyone else in business has to. However, I
wouldn't necessarily ascribe this rationale to Del's note.
 I have also come across some non-guiding birders who just don't like
giving out information. Their attitude seems to be "find your own birds
!", which seems a bit miserable.
Personally I now give information freely to any birder (once they
establish their bona fides as a genuine birder). It saves me having to
take them around the place. But when I was doing a bit of guiding I was
a lot more cautious about giving away my information without being paid
for it. One could argue that such " nature" information should be in the
public domain and available to all for free - well, that's Ok for those
not trying to make a living , but if you are depending on the income
it's a different matter.

Tony Russell