birding-aus

Needletails at play.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Needletails at play.
From: "Del Richards" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:09:36 +1000
Over the last week weather has been "cloudy and humid" locally, bringing the first real Swift activity for the season. I noted a few needletails a week back feeding over cane fields south of Mossman and their numbers did not increase over two days. The third day large numbers of Fork-tailed Swifts arrived and along with needletails would have made at least 300 birds (although difficult to estimate)     Last Monday morning near South Mossman River I witnessed for the first time "swifts at play". Large numbers of the needletails were cruising in a relaxed manner at about 200 metres and would would break off in twos to fours and playfully fly in tandem formation. They appeared completely relaxed as none of this happened at high speed. I regret that I didn't have more time to share the moment a little longer.
Del. Richards, Fine Feather Tours, Mossman, NQ.