birding-aus

Paradise-Kingfisher

To: <>
Subject: Paradise-Kingfisher
From: "Phil Gregory" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:27:07 +1000
There has been a forlorn presumed male Buff-breasted Paradise-Kingfisher calling loudly round Cassowary House, Kuranda for a few days, moving around a lot so unlikely to have a mate. The calling has been very persistent, from just after dawn to up to dusk on one day, as he tries to lure a female. Yesterday (Jan 12) on our veranda I was reviewing some New Guinea tapes of Little Paradise-Kingfisher that I'd made near Kiunga, and I was surprised to find the Buff-Breasted P-K responding loudly to them. I suppose there is a generic song similarity but the Little is much quieter and more trilled, so it was interesting to get this reaction.
The Red-necked Crakes are likely breeding as they only show occasionally each day, we have had a good wet season so far so this is good news for them. Double-eyed fig-Parrots are everywhere, they were my first species of the new year feeding on cauliflorous figs on a trunk just outside our bedroom. The big fig nearby is also fruiting so Wompoo Pigeon, Superb Fruit-Dove and Barred Cuckoo-shrike are frequent visitors, and they are all still calling well too.
The elusive White-eared Monarch was calling yesterday, and Pied Monarch has also been fairly active, with one right by our veranda on New Year's Day.
Phil Gregory Cassowary House Kuranda
www. cassowary-house.com.au

ICQ#: 160888095
Current ICQ status: