birding-aus

mystery falcon takes a tern

Subject: mystery falcon takes a tern
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:43:56 EST
hi all
happy new year. just back from visiting three in-laws properties dotted across southern central qld where i had time between chasing cows and mending fences to watch some birds. (trip report follows.) conditions were great with weather mild, grass green and waterholes full. many birds seen esp waterbirds, a few ticks and one query.

nive downs, 40km north of augathella

highlight of the trip: while trying to ID a single near-white tern (gull-billed, non-breeding) fluttering over a dam i heard what sounded like a plane coming in to land and looked up to see a dark falcon in full dive. it made a pass at the tern, missed, banked and tried again, striking it on the head with one blow of its talon. the tern was stone dead before it hit the water, not even a flap. the falcon scooped it up and headed to a log to eat.

my first thought was a black falcon (which i've seen before), seeing the dark back and sharp wings when it banked. but when it landed it had the dark mask and streaked creamy undersides of a brown falcon or immature peregrine. it appeared quite thickset or puffed up on its perch. barring on the tail when fanned was seen on take-off. it was definitely dark brown rather than leaden on the back.

i'm leaning towards a peregrine simply due to the sheer speed of the dive but would a young bird be up to this? similarly, has anyone seen a brown falcon execute such aerial manourvres? i've seen plenty of them and they always struck me as the plodders of the family, more kite or hawk than a true falcon.

i felt for the pretty little tern but the sight of this falcon in full cry took my breath away.
what's more, the commotion flushed six pink-eared ducks, always a pleasure to behold.

thanks in advance for any comments.

shane b
vaucluse

most distressing sight was two dozen each of gouldian finches and bourke's parrots in cramped cages tucked away in the back of a nursery in charleville.
having never seen these beautiful birds in the wild, i fear that sight has spoiled it for me.
i inquired about the price ($55 a pair) with a mind to liberate them but as they were probably raised in captivity and out of range, i thought better of it.

commotion flushed six pink-eared ducks, which are always a pleasure to see.

Shane Brady
writer-researcher
3/77 Fitzwilliam Rd
Vaucluse NSW 2030