birding-aus

Figbirds spreading in western Sydney

To: <>
Subject: Figbirds spreading in western Sydney
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 15:45:28 +1100

On new years day (yesterday) I heard a Figbird or two call beside Bungarribee Rd in Blacktown (next to Red Rooster). I have heard them calling in Blacktown before and have seen/heard them about 3 times in Seven Hills (2 or more birds), once (at least 2 birds) at Guildford and a few times in Parramatta/Westmead. All of these suburbs are in Sydney’s west, 25 – 40km west of Sydney CBD). Figbirds have been common for some time in a number of suburbs close to the Sydney CBD and the inner west (around 10kms surrounding the CBD), but my recent sightings of them in the outer-western suburbs may imply that these birds are spreading much further west.

Does anyone share the same view that they are spreading further west in Sydney? Are they also spreading much further south?.I have seen them as far south as Kiama, approx. 150 km south of Sydney CBD (where I think they are well established). Any Victorian records yet?

Edwin