birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant
From: "John Barkla" <>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:46:00 +1100
I had a most enjoyable day yesterday with a visiting Dutch birder, Simon Plat.  We found the Ruff still present at the T Section lagoons at the Western Treatment Plant, where it had been joined by a Wood Sandpiper.  The second Ruff is still present in the Conservation Lagoon off 280 South Road (seen bt Fred Smith the day before).  Less than 5 minutes after Simon set out on his return journey to Geelong, where he and his wife were staying, I saw one of his target birds, a Black Falcon.  It was soaring just north of the Freeway near the Point Wilson Road overpass.  Disappointing for Simon to miss it, but he still managed about 20 lifers for the day (Red-necked Avocet, Freckled Duck, Cape Barren Goose, Little Grassbird, Black-tailed Native-hen, Fairy Martin, Australian Spotted Crake and Striated Fieldwren at the WTP, Banded Stilt at Avolon Saltworks and at the You Yangs Diamond Firetail, Long-billed Corella, Southern Whiteface, Zebra Finch, Little Eagle, Spiny-cheeked, Brown-headed and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, Wite-winged Chough, Common Bronzewing and I may have missed one).  Simon will be out with Phil Maher around Deniliquin tomorrow and he should catch up with a Black Falcon there.

John Barkla