birding-aus

northern territoy and western australian trip part 2 april- oct 2004

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: northern territoy and western australian trip part 2 april- oct 2004
From: "Gary Wright" <>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:36:52 +1030

Heading west from Kakadu Thompson springs(McCrie and Watson) was an excellent birding spot.  The new bird was yellow rumped mannikin(later to see hundreds at Kununnurra golf course) but many red backed wrens and golden headed cisticola.  At Victoria River crossing I eventually got purple crowned fairy wren male on the bridge-good views on my last and third try.  Also a new bird was White Quilled Rock pigeon.  Probably the easiest place to see this bird is Purnululu(Bungle Bungles) Picaninny Gorge walk or even on Cathedral walk.  A highlight of Purnululu, was on the drive back from Picanniny Gorge saw Grey Falcon catching very large grasshoppers which were in plague proportions.  Good views grey falcon circling overhead eating grasshopper from its claws.  Also spinifex bird at Picanninny Gorge carpark at the beginning of the walk. Camped overnight in Picanninny Gorge and the sound of sandstone shrike thrush in the gorge was extremely beautiful-a great echo chamber.

In Gregory National Park on the Bullita Rd, I eventually saw yellow tinted honeyeater-a bird I should have seen easily by this time-from here on I saw it frequently.  Also on this road there were Gouldian finches red face and black face.  Timber Creek airfield was very overgrown along the fence so there were none of the hoped for finches but I did flush a prize-King Quail. Tiny Quail, saw chestnut under males tail.

At Kununnurra, my first sighting of white browed crake was on the golf course walking on water in reed lined ponds.  They were very distant, However at the boat ramp on Lake Kona as described in Frank O'Connor's webpage, there was white browed crake withina few metres walking on the tiniest bit of floating vegetation near the shore.  Wyndham yielded Mangrove Heron a bird seen more at Broome and Karratha.  Another bird seen at Karratha was Beach Stone Curlew.  I also saw Beach Stone Curlew at Eighty Mile Beach, but we had walked over 10 kms south along the beach from caravan park.

The big search at Mitchell Falls/Plateau was obviously going to be Black throated grasswren and hoping for Red Goshawk.  I suspect I saw the latter near Big Mertens falls but as I was photographing rock art at the time and it just sailed overhead I didn't get a good enough look to claim it.  However I am very familiar with square tailed kite, so if you are going that way keep your eyes peeled.  I got the Black throated grasswren at littel mertens falls on the north or right hand side going out from campground by being there early in the morning and waiting until I heard some wren like calls.  Unlike white throated birds could be carefully followed for good views.

Broome provided many new birds and although we were there in August there was still plenty of waders about-I didn't realise that so many overwinter.  Lesser Frigatebird was an unexpected bonus on the beach where the fossilised dinosaur footprint is. As we were a bit early the only new wader for me was common redshank.  Broome was really good for mangrove birds.  I went to Crab Creek on three occassions and on my last occassion there I saw all of the mangrove birds except mangrove golden whistler.  Those I saw were mangrove heron, (well out in the open at low tide in Roebuck bay near Crab Creek), broad billed flycatcher, white breasted whistler, dusky gerygone,mangrove fantail, mangrove robin, red headed honeyeater, mangrove kingfisher and yellow white eye.  But the real highlight of Broome was the yellow chat. Apparently the birds are there all of the time, you just need to ask at the Broome Bird observatory and if it is late in the dry season like when we were there, be prepared to walk a long way out through the samphire.  But we were rewarded with good views of a pair of yellow chats.

Coral Bay provided one of those bits of pure luck that can make your day.  We had just cleaned our snorkelling gear on piece of cement near fish cleaning tables and were sitting nearbly eating our lunch.. I looked up and five yards away was a buff banded rail coming out from large coastal saltbush to see if any pickings had been left behind.  This was a new bird for me and lucky enough to have extended views.

In terms of the rest of the trip as far as birding goes the important thing was to get the west australian endemics that I didn't have.  I had been to WA but not south west corner adn teh previous trip had been largely a wildflower expedition, so there were quite a few to get.  Long Billed black cockatoo(near Benger swamp), red eared firetail and redwinged fairy wren(Wugong gorge), Western Corella ( near town of Rocky Gully), Western thornbill(Walpole) and that leaves the big three-western bristlebird, noisy scrubird and western whipbird.  Cheynes beach caravan park was certainly the place to be. Hosts gave directions to find western bristlebird and I had very good views, with birds calling happily in front and behind me.  I found birds could be stalked.  Western whipbird was in the same area as teh western bristlebird but I found it much harder to track down.  I spent two hours hearing it frequently but even though it was in very low heath, finding it impossible to see.  As I had given up and I was walking back, it flew from a bush and I was able to follow it, and get some good views of it in another bush.

Noisy Scrubird proved the most difficult.  I went to Waychinicup, a beautiful place(carpet python, southern brown bandicoot,ringtailed possum, antechinus, not to mention the wildflowers).  Spent a good deal of time at Frank O'Connors best site and had ear splitting calls but no sign of bird as grass is very thick and it is a complete wast of time trying to stalk the bird.  I also went to Two Peoples Bay and sat on the recommended track for two  hours and saw nothing.  I did however see the bird near our campsite, campsite three at Waychinicup.  Early in the morning, I heard it calling and followed the call down to the inlet.  The vegetation is more open there and I was abel to get good views of the bird on the ground-it reminded me in some ways of a small, brown whipbird.

It was a great trip-there were other foci besides birding, but the birding was excellent and I added 78 new species to my life list.  Cape York hear I come in a few years time

Gary Wright