birding-aus

Red Wattlebird chasing Pelican

To: "Val Ford" <>, <>
Subject: Red Wattlebird chasing Pelican
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 21:55:19 +1100
It sure seems weird and there probably is no logical reason. It probably is just because it is a large bird with big beak nearby having an impact on a bird with a heightened aggression streak.

You probably all know of the old ethological experiment of having a cut out shape that: being towed on a string going in one direction supposedly looks like a flying hawk but going in the opposite direction supposedly looks like a flying goose. Well ducklings and goslings supposedly show instinctive alarm at the "hawk" space-time image and no alarm at the "goose" space-time image. It could be that simple although someone else suggested they could get the same reaction from a triangle towed point first (as a oversimplified "goose") or edge first as a oversimplified "hawk" or maybe it is that the point first image is less visually sudden.  Other experiments suggested it was just a matter of habituation as in what sights are the birds familiar with. Something that is new being something to be afraid of. To a Wattlebird, a Pelican or Ibis at close range is probably something like that.

Philip