birding-aus

Sonagrams etc

To: <>
Subject: Sonagrams etc
From: "graham ranft" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:16:04 +1100
Ive recently joined this group and been scratching about the internet
downloading some sonagram/spectrum analysis  type progs.

Sound Ruler  looks promising.

Unfortunately Audiograph seems to be Mac only :-)

I have gram11  and the Avisoft lite demo which unfortunately is set up for pre
Win98
file-naming/folders.

The cheapest Avisoft prog is not cheap!

I would be grateful if I could have some ideas as to which  are  really
useful tool for the anlysis I want to do.

Im looking at Mr BB's [blackbird] song in the short and long term..
I have recordings from last year and lots this year.
I want to analyse his song both for phrases, repetiton and also
characteristic 'warbles etc ' within each phrase. he has a number
of characteristic phrases which are stable and easy to recognize.

Im not sure how useful this will be but it may be interesting !

Anything pertaining to this topic would be welcomed too!
[I have seen text re diff between Oz and Eu blackbirds.]

Currently im using a Samsung V4 digimax camera to record sound.
Its very sensitive and seems to make  quite a good job. I have 64Mb
SD card so can record for some time. if I get into this I might consider
something better. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Seasonal greetings/wishes - be happy and well!

graham in Canberra