birding-aus

CBOC Outing to the Hawkesbury area NSW - 18th Dec 2004

To: <>
Subject: CBOC Outing to the Hawkesbury area NSW - 18th Dec 2004
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:12:10 +1100

Yesterday, Saturday 18th December 2004, I lead a group of about 14 member of the Cumberland Bird Observers Club to the Hawkesbury area. We visited two well know Sydney birding spots in this area – Scheyville National Park and Mitchell Park (which are located close to the NW fringe of the Sydney region – approx. 60 km NW of Sydney CBD).

At Scheyville National Park (which is close to Pitt Town) we saw or heard a good assortment of woodland/forest birds including Painted Button-quail; Peaceful Doves; Little Lorikeets; Fan-tailed Cuckoo; Koel; Sacred Kingfishers; Ciacadabird; a pair of Crested Shrike-tits, Rufous Whistlers (one male on a nest); Noisy Friarbirds, Brown-headed, Yellow-faced (one making a nest), Fuscous and Scarlet Honeyeaters; Olive-backed Orioles and Dusky Woodswallows. The Painted Button-quails were heard making their booming calls in the early part of the morning but none of the group managed to get a sighting of one.

After a good satisfying couple of hours or so at Scheyville, we spent the rest of our outing at Mitchell Park in Cattai (from mid-morning till about the middle of the afternoon).

At Mitchell Park, the bird activity appeared to have quietened down from previous visits, but was nonetheless still quite productive. Here we saw 5 or more Common Bronzewing; several Sacred Kingfishers; Dollarbirds; a male Cicadabird (and heard another one call); a pair of Leaden Flycatchers nesting (in a typical position on a small horizontal branch under another parallel and above the one with the nest. Maybe this is to provide some shelter against rain and possibly predators!); Rufous Fantails; Variegated Wrens; Brown and White-throated Gerygones (one of the later was seen taking nesting material from an old cup-shaped nest probably to build its own dome-shaped nest); very obliging Scarlet Honeyeaters at eye level (though we saw quite a few of these, many of these gems along with the White-cheeked Honeyeaters appeared to have gone quiet. They either have move on or are quiet while nesting) and Satin bowerbirds (with one female seen feeding a young bird). We also saw 2 White-necked Herons feeding in a paddock on private land adjacent the Mitchell Park.

And after all this, we ended our outing on a very high mote. As we were heading back to our cars, I noticed a thrush sized bird land in some small trees (as I looked back at the other member trailing behind) and beside the rainforest walk in Mitchell Park, and yes there it was, an Australian Owlet Nigh-jar in broad daylight. It was almost at eye level and only about 2 metres from our face, giving us very good views as much as we wanted. Snap..snap went my camera!

Edwin Vella