birding-aus

South West Pacific bird observations 2004

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: South West Pacific bird observations 2004
From: Susan Myers <>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:06:58 +1100 (EST)
Dear Oz Birders,
We (David Bishop, Dion Hobcroft and Susan Myers) have
just returned from leading (on behalf of Victor
Emanuel Nature Tours Inc.) a superb expedition cruise
that took in the Fijian Islands including Kadavu and
the little known island of Ogea Levu; the Vanuatu
islands of Espiritu Santo, Ambrym and Tanna and,
finally Lifou and New Caledonia Grande Terre. Given
how infrequently many of these areas are visited by
birders and in particular the opportunity to bird seas
very rarely transacted by birders we thought a summary
of some of our more interesting observations might be
useful.
1)       Tahiti Petrel Pterodroma rostrata
Two birds were seen on consecutive days as we
travelled from Viti Levu towards Vanuatu. Four seen
near Fiji waters and up to ten recorded as we
approached New Caledonia waters. 17, 18, 19 & 22
November.
2)       White-necked Petrel Pterodroma cervicalis
Two seen en route to Ogea Levu; one en route to Suva;
>15 on our first full day at sea between Fiji and
Vanuatu. 16, 17 & 18 Nov.
3)       Vanuatu Petrel Pterodroma occulta
One during the late afternoon of our second full day
at sea as we approached Vanuatu. Recently split from
White-necked Petrel. 19 Nov.
4)       Black-winged Petrel Pterodroma nigripennis
Two en route to Ogea Levu; >20 on our first full day
at sea between Fiji and Vanuatu and one on our second
day at sea. 17, 18 & 19 Nov.
5)       Collared Petrel Pterodroma brevipes
Three birds were recorded soon after we left Fiji
waters and a total of nine as we approached Vanuatu.
18 & 19 Nov.
6)       Cook's Petrel Pterodroma cookii
Three on our first day at sea between Fiji and Vanuatu
and two as we crossed into Vanuatu waters. 18 & 19
Nov.
7)       Wedge-tailed Shearwater Puffinus pacificus
Over 100 were seen on our first full day at sea in
Fiji waters; very common with up to 120 recorded at
sea before reaching Vanuatu; 20 within the Vanuatu
archipelago and 150+ as we after we left Makulu
Island.
8)       Flesh-footed Shearwater Puffinus carneipes
Two were seen across the bow in the early morning as
we travelled towards Vanuatu.
9)       Short-tailed Shearwater Puffinus tenuirostris
Fifty near Kadavu in Fiji waters; thereafter one of
the most common birds at sea.
10)    Sooty Shearwater Puffinus griseus
Forty recorded in Fiji waters and 20 between Tanna and
Lifou.
11)    Audubon's Shearwater Puffinus lherminieri
Just one seen in Fiji waters. Five recorded on two
separate days at sea between Fiji and Vanuatu.
12)    White-tailed Tropicbird Phaethon lepturus
Two beautiful birds were seen flying around and
alighting on coral outcrops off Ogea Levu; a total of
three seen over the ship between Fiji and Vanuatu.
13)    Red-tailed Tropicbird Phaethon rubricauda
One fabulous bird spotted on the water in the early
morning soon after we departed Fiji waters.
14)    Red-footed Booby Sula sula
Common throughout Fiji waters. Two seen very soon
after we departed Fiji waters.
15)    Masked Booby Sula dactylatra
Three seen near Ogea Levu.
16)    Brown Booby Sula leucogaster
Seen on two days in Fiji waters.
17)    Great Frigatebird Fregata minor
Two birds on separate days in Fiji waters.
18)    Lesser Frigatebird Fregata ariel
One near Ogea Levu.
19)    Pomarine Jaeger Stercorarius pomarinus
Three were seen soon after we left Fiji waters; one
seen on our fist full day at sea between Fiji and
Vanuatu.
20)    Long-tailed Jaeger Stercorarius
One seen just after we left Fiji waters.
21)    Common Noddy Anous stolidus
Seen daily in Fiji waters with a high count of 100 en
route from Ogea Levu to Suva.
22)    Black Noddy Anous minutes
Seventy-three birds recorded on our first full day at
sea in Fiji waters; one near Ambryn.
23)    White Tern Gygis alba
Two seen in Fiji waters; six recorded after leaving
Fiji waters. Just one seen near Ambryn.
24)    Crested Tern Sterna bergii
Seen daily in low numbers in Fiji waters.
25)    Black-naped Tern Sterna sumatrana
Up to ten seen as we travelled from Ogea Levu to Suva.
26)    Bridled Tern Sterna anaethetus
Seen every day while at sea in Fiji, becoming
increasingly common as we approached pelagic waters.
27)    Sooty Tern Sterna fuscata
Over 400 sighted between Fiji and Vanuatu. Up to 100
were seen en route to New Caledonia.
 We saw nearly all of the endemics, near endemics and
range restricted species we could reasonably have
hoped to see. The following is a handful of the more
interesting records:
1.      White-faced Heron Egretta novaehollandiae
One seen near Suva by the pre-trip group; one notable
record from Ogea Levu, possibly the first for this
island.
2.      Blue-crowned Lorikeet Vini australis
Another spectacular parrot, seen very well by most on
Ogea Levu at the western limit of its distribution.
3.      Ogea Monarch Mayrornis versicolor
A total of six were recorded on Ogea Levu. Although
not the most exciting bird we saw, this was certainly
one of the rarest and we are perhaps the first bird
group to ever see this little known endemic.
4.      Chestnut-bellied Kingfisher Todiramphus farquhari
Yet another trip highlight! After a bit of initial
panic as the bird refused to co-operate, we all
eventually had superb views of this very interesting
endemic at Belaru, Epiritu Santo. We then found
another by chance in a mixed flock, also at Belaru.
5.      Buff-bellied Monarch Neolalage banksiana
We recorded six individuals of this very interesting
and flighty endemic in forest at Belaru, Espiritu
Santo.
6.      Kagu Rhynochetos jubatus
Bird of the Trip! Four fabulous birds were seen,
studied and photographed as they cavorted around us,
oblivious to our enthralled gaze! A truly wonderful
experience. The population at Riviere Bleue National
Park is now up from ca. 60 when David Bishop first
went there in the early 1980s to >600 today AND all
thanks to the remarkable efforts of Yves Letocart.
7.      Crow Honeyeater Gymnomyza aubryana
One of many trip highlights! We were very lucky to
have such super looks of a male and a female
allo-preening as they perched out in the open on a
dead stag in Riviere Bleue NP. This undoubtedly the
most threatened species on New Caledonia.
8.      Large Lifou White-eye Zosterops inornatus
An annoyingly uncooperative species that seems to
sneak around teasingly singing but never showing
itself! Everyone did eventually get good looks after a
fair bit of effort! Is it really a Zosterops?
Thanks to one and all for helping to make this such a
superb trip.
 K. David Bishop, Dion Hobcroft, Susan Myers

=====
Susan Myers
13 Ryan Street
Brunswick East 3057