birding-aus

NSW Twitchathon 2004

Subject: NSW Twitchathon 2004
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:44:03 +1100

I've just received the list of all species seen by teams participating in the 2004 NSW Twichathon (30-31 October).  It makes interesting reading.

A total of 317 species were recorded in the 24 hour period.  This is quite impressive with the winning team recording 220. Not surprisingly, the greatest gap is sea-birds with three species of shearwater, Northern Giant Petrel and Gannet the only "real" sea-bird species recorded.

The scope of the twitchathon is well demonstrated by the diversity of species seen - Crested Bellbird, Diamond Dove, Chestnut-crowned Babbler and Crimson Chat to Rufous Scub-bird, Noisy Pitta and Wompoo Fruit-dove and Little Bronze-cuckoo to Fairy Tern.  Eight nocturnal species, 18 species of diurnal raptor and 29 species of honeyeater were recorded along with 30 species of shorebird.

A know there are a number of near-misses omitted (quire rightly) from the list.  The Whacked-out Woodswallows saw several species before the start but not during the official 24 hour period that didn't get recorded by any team - Major Mitchell Cockatoo, Budgerigar and Black Kite for example.  I also can't believe that no-one managed to record a Rockwarbler!!

Although the funds raised this year will go to the Capertee Valley Regent Honeyeater Project no-one managed to find a Regent Honeyeater!

This list will be useful in efforts to try and get some corporate sponsorship of the 2005 Twitchathon.  I'm hoping that we can get a sponsor for species recorded by all teams.  if anyone out there knows of a potential sponsor please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Cheers

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
Department of Environment & Conservation
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

confidential information.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and then delete the message. Views expressed in this message may be those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the NSW Department of Environment and Conservation.