birding-aus

Re: landclearing - and the future of birds in nsw

Subject: Re: landclearing - and the future of birds in nsw
From: "Carmel Flint" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:58:19 +1100
yes, unfortunately the more that is cleared now, the worse the
droughts and wild weather events will be in the future, and the more
difficult it will become for future generations of farmers to thrive
and survive

i agree with everyones comments on the conservation credentials of
many farmers, and i think in my previous emails i probably failed to
make a distinction between the farming lobby and farmers per se, for
which i apologise

it is indeed the farming lobby who push for lessening of
environmental controls and they are a small, loud element who are
heavily motivated by the short term profit motive and are not
representative of all farmers

i think both a strong, simple enforceable law to prevent clearing by
the cowboys out there, and significant incentives for those who do
the right thing and more, is the answer

hopefully, with the introduction of incentives in nsw, those who
having being arduously looking after their veg against the odds will
finally get some rewards for it