birding-aus

Ruff, finally

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Ruff, finally
From: "Neville Pamment" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 11:13:40 +1100
We tried again yesterday for the Ruff that John Barkla reported from the T-section lagoons off the Point Wilson road at Werribee, Vic and this time were successful, finally getting brilliant views through the scope of the preening bird in a group of about 14 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers.

These birds are often out of view in the longish grass in which they feed, so if the Ruff doesn't appear to be there on first inspection, it is worth coming back (as we did).  The size contrast with the Sharpies is hard to appreciate properly with the birds half obscured in the grass and it is worth the wait till they move onto a bare patch.

Thanks John Barkla for excellent directions. A permit from
Melbourne Water is required to enter this area.
Neville