birding-aus

Owl call

Subject: Owl call
From: Robert McPherson <>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:27:46 +1100
Hello birding-aus,

For a number of years I have been hearing a loud call from the top of
the eucalypts near our house in suburban Brighton (Melbourne).

This Spring I was able to see that the call was from a large owl.
The only one I have been able to see was mainly white so it must have
been juvenile. But it was big. Larger than a sulphur-crested
cockatoo.
Now, in December, they are still about.

We only seem to hear one bird. There is no answerring call.

And it is not a classic owl hoot or scream.

It is very rythmical and repeated over and over with short breaks
between bursts.

It goes "T-were, T-were, T-were, T-were, T-were, T-were" ad infinitum.

It might go non stop for about a minute then stop for 30 secs before
starting up again. But never any other sound.

It is quite loud, can be heard clearly from 50 metres away.

This seems to occur most commonly around 10pm or 5am.]

Needless to say, there is plenty of tucker about in the form of
brushtailed possums and flying foxes.

Is this call unique? does it identify a particular species?

I hope you can satisfy my curiosity.

--

Best regards,
 Bob