birding-aus

One lucky CP

To: Craig Williams <>,
Subject: One lucky CP
From: John Boyce <>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:10:04 +1100
Hi Craig and others,
a quick google search reveals
http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/invasive/publications/cat-impacts/
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/npws.nsf/Content/Predation+by+feral+cats+-+key+threatening+process+declaration

Also see
Aust Vet J. 1998 Aug;76(8):551-4.
Survey of predation by domestic cats.
Robertson ID.
Division of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University,
Western Australia.
OBJECTIVES: To calculate the proportion of house cats which were
observed by their owners to have caught prey and to describe the
characteristics of these cats. DESIGN AND PROCEDURE: A telephone
questionnaire was administered to a randomly selected population of 458
cat owners in metropolitan Perth. Specific questions were asked about
demographic characteristics, habits and diets of the cats, and whether
the owners had observed their cats catch prey in the 12 month period
preceding the survey. RESULTS: The owners of 36% of 644 cats had
observed their cats with prey in the 12 month period preceding the
survey. Cats which spent more time outside, were neutered, cross-bred,
originated from households with only one or two cats or were not fed
meat were significantly more likely to be observed to predate. The body
condition and diet (other than feeding meat) of cats did not influence
the reported frequency of predation. CONCLUSION: Although cats are only
one factor involved in the reduction in the numbers and diversity of
Australian wildlife, restriction of the outside activities of cats is
likely to diminish predation, particularly in areas close to native
vegetation.