birding-aus

One lucky CP

To: <>
Subject: One lucky CP
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:33:16 +1100
Dear All,
Unfortunately, most bells used are ineffective due to their size. For
the average cat, one of approx. 1 Kg is most suitable.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford

PS. I actually do like cats!
CC
On 01/12/2004, at 1:31 PM, J Rose wrote:

My border collie (also a twitcher) and I rescued a crested pigeon from the neighbour’s cat on Saturday evening around dusk. We live on a 2-acre block at Highvale (around 35ks n/w of Brisbane cbd). The moggie was toying with the capture up the back of our block and my dog came in the house barking for me to take a look. Of course the cat took off as we approached and I was able to rescue the CP. Unfortunately the
dog was unable to catch the cat!!

The CP was missing all but 4 tail feathers and plenty of down feathers from around the anal region. Very little blood though and no puncture marks so I dabbed it with some Betadine in the appropriate places and took it off to our wonderful wildlife carer for some R & R where it has lived through the initial shock (which is the usual killer), and has survived to day 4. Hopefully in around a month’s time I will be able to release it back in this vicinity.

A peculiar aspect of this episode though is to attest to the fact that the cat was wearing a collar with bells and serves to prove a
suspicion that I’ve had for some time: -

            I’m certain that after wearing these bell collars for some
time, cats learn to hunt and stalk without them ‘ringing’.

Anyone have any comments in this??

Cheers

John