birding-aus

Re: Backyad Bird feeding

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: Backyad Bird feeding
From: "Greg Clancy" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:23:59 +1100
I read with interest the item about the retired man at Sawtell who feeds the birds and has an interesting array of birds in his extended yard.  I would suggest that even in the absence of feeding he would have a good diversity of birds due to the rich habitats within his local area.  I have documented the number of vertebrate species (birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians) that inhabit or have visited our yard in the village of Coutts Crossing, near Grafton, NSW.  Up to the year 2000 we had 132 species recorded, including Spangled Drongo, Rufous Fantail, Nankeen Night Heron, Buff-banded Rail, Pacific Baza, Square-tailed Kite, Musk Lorikeet, Little Bronze-Cuckoo, Satin Bowerbird, Wonga Pigeon, Grey Goshawk, Cicadabird, Brush Cuckoo, Budgerigar etc, etc. - all without artificially feeding the birds.  We feed the birds by providing the local native plants.  If anyone wants more details I have published the results in a paper title 'Vertebrate fauna and its management on an urban block in northern New South Wales' in 'A Zoological Revolution.  Using native fauna to assist in its own survival.'  Edited by Daniel Lunney and Chris Dickman, 2002.  Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales, Mosman 2088 and Australian Museum.

Regards

Greg