birding-aus

Re: Unusual Wader in Cairns

To: "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Re: Unusual Wader in Cairns
From: "Bonomo, Nicholas" <>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 04:22:54 -0400

Hi all,

After looking at the photos of the unusual wader in Cairns, I thought I would throw in my two cents. I agree with Mike Carter and the Fishers that the bird is a large-billed Ruff, an adult in non-breeding plumage.

While in my opinion the color of the legs does not rule out Stilt Sand (I have seen this species with very yellowish legs), everything else seems to. The bill structure seems (to me) to better match Ruff, though it is large in size for that species. Plumage also seems to fit Ruff.

FYI - I have seen several Stilt Sandpipers in America over the past few years, but only one Ruff (an extremely variable species, where I'm sure experience comes in handy).

Good birding,
Nick

Nick Bonomo
Orange, CT, USA