birding-aus

Satin bowerbird

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Satin bowerbird
From: "Gary Blond" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:55:14 +1000
Magic birding moment!

My wife and I visited Maiala recreation reserve at Brisbane Forest Park today.

First bird spotted was a satin bowerbird hopping furiously on the side of a tree. His activity was stirring up the insects and two Eastern Yellow robins were enjoying the feast on offer.

Decided to occupy a picnic table a short distance away and watched with binoculars and obtained a couple of shots with the camera ( reviewing shots later and if ok posting to ABID ). Noticed after some time that he was keeping close watch on area where we were sitting and even flew to bush very close to us. Watched him for bit longer and then he reappeared in bush close to us again.

Closer inspection below area where he had been perched revealed bits of blue plastic etc. and bingo! Brand new bower just back from the blue bits! Could'nt believe just how close he had constructed the bower to a spot where people would be fairly regular visitors.( hopefully the right sort of visitors in the future )

Some time later spotted the female in the original tree and later still heard some strange noises coming from the scrub. Best description would be whirring, rasping sounds. Checked Pizzey and Knight at home later and this seems to confirm that the sounds were part of his female attraction antics.Noted that September is the start of the breeding season. According to P&K the actual nest would probably be very close to the bower.

Exciting stuff! Snapped a couple of shots of the bower with the zoom and then moved away.

For my information, what would be the approximate time-line if mating was successful?

Cat-birds were very active nearby but no sightings. Across the road we were also enthralled by approx. 4-5 golden whistlers, but Murphy's law was evident when I attempted to get good shots! Also spotted a very quick glimpse of the dazzling jet black and golden orange of a Regent Bowerbird landing in a tree approx. 150 metres away. Wife disputes the sighting as she did not see it!

Great day all round!

Cheers

Gary Blond  :>)
Joyner