birding-aus

Singapore, Norway birding

To: "Inbye Salvage Services" <>, <>
Subject: Singapore, Norway birding
From: Koren Mitchell <>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:41:11 +0800

I was in Singapore a couple of weeks ago and had a chance to do a bit of birding. I found Bukit Timah Nature Reserve to be fairly quiet birding-wise, and there were quite a few people there (even on a weekday), but the forest itself was very nice, and the walks are very pleasant and well-labelled telling about plants etc. I didn't have time to go to Macrichie Reservoir or Sime Forest, but I may have seen a bit more there as there are probably fewer people. Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve is certainly worth a visit. They have lots of hides, and by the time you get there there should be lots of waders. Even when I was there the place was crawling with Pacific Golden Plovers, as well as scatterings of quite a few other waders.

Singapore Botanic Gardens was disappointing for me. Of the 3 lakes there, one is completely drained and being reworked and another has lots of work going on at one end, so basically no water birds. Maybe if I had been there early in the morning I would have seen more but I was also there mid-afternoon which isn't the best time.

Jurong Bird Park is definitely worth a visit also. There are a few wild birds around (I saw sunbirds and golden-backed woodpecker amongst others), but the birds in the aviaries are spectacular (except that some of the cages for the raptors are too small).

Hope this helps.

Koren Mitchell