birding-aus

Could a reduction in native seabirds due to fishing occur here?

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Could a reduction in native seabirds due to fishing occur here?
From: Stephen Selden <>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:04:10 +1000 (EST)
It was partly this that sparked the question from a
young bird enthusiast who is one of our moderators on
Envirotalk (have to make sure she knows about this
forum to).  The government has made assurances on this
issue (saying it is a beat up - but I am afraid the
Journalist who broke the story had plenty to go on)and
the idea of super trawlers is not popular at all with
the fishing industry.

Anyway - below is a link to the Trawler Issue and lots
of info including the Trawler Companies own website
for the Veronica's even larger sister ship, the
Atlantic Dawn (apt name).  And there is also me
getting cranky at how long it took to refute the
possibility that this ship was coming.  I think the
strength of the reaction to the idea generally was
very healthy in playing a part to help ensure this
does not happen.

http://www.envirotalk.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=2457

http://www.envirotalk.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=2603

And shortened versions in case line wrapping recks the
links.

http://tinyurl.com/3ua45

http://tinyurl.com/582en

You can do this at, http://tinyurl.com/ by the way.