birding-aus

Difficulty viewing online bird photo albums

To: <>
Subject: Difficulty viewing online bird photo albums
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:49:11 +1000
Hi all,

I have another gripe! :-)

Recently I have encountered difficulties in viewing some of the bird-photo
albums which some
contributors to this forum have provided links to in their postings.

On attempting to access these on-line albums I have been presented with a
message which informs me
that I must reconfigure my firewall if I wish to gain access to what appears to
be a 'special'
web-site containing these images.

As this web-site appears to be a facility or service which is commercially
orientated (i.e., the
owner of the images is ultimately intending to sell their images) I suspect
that the suggestion that
I view their images is in the hope that I will send some money in their
direction.

It is extremely unlikely that I will ever purchase any images off the WWW and
so I will be unlikely
to reconfigure my firewall simply to allow me to view the images in question.
Reconfiguring a
firewall simply to allow someone else to gain a commercial advantage seems to
me to be a rather
risky process for me to indulge in.

There are regular contributors to this forum who do operate commercial ventures
connected with
bird-watching but it is usually quite obvious that they do so.
Most of these people do not hide their commercial connections and seem easily
able to provide free
and desirable birding information from their specific regions without overt
advertising of their
particular operation.
And, without the need to reconfigure my firewall!
Obviously, these commercial operators are hopeful that they will gain some
custom from the viewers
of their postings but I am sure that few people would begrudge them some small
return for their
often substantial generosity with the information they freely provide.

I am always keen to view the photographic efforts of other bird-photographers
and often use their
images as examples of what I should be aiming to achieve myself. I have no
argument with people
showing off their expertise and, in the process, proving that they are better
photographers than me.
However, when someone posts information on this forum with the apparent
intention of providing a
free and friendly service but is hiding the fact that they have a commercial
intent, I am not happy!
I consider such actions as unethical.

Cheers

Bob Inglis