birding-aus

Re: RFI C. Schanck and Bushrangers Bay, Mornington Peninsula, VIC, & WHI

To: "Brian Fleming" <>, "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Re: RFI C. Schanck and Bushrangers Bay, Mornington Peninsula, VIC, & WHITE-FRONTED TERNS
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 23:16:51 -0000
Anthea, the return walk to Bushrangers Bay either from Boneo Road or Cape
Schanck is a walkers 1 hour so for a birder allow 1.5 to 2 hours. From Boneo
Road it is the Little Wattlebird capital of the world! It should not be too
arduous, (I too have a seniors card)! Hooded Plovers can be seen on the
beach there. You would need to get right to the tip of Cape Schanck to see
many seabirds including albatrosses and I'm not sure whether the board walk
and stairs down and back, a taxing walk, has been repaired and reopened to
the public. In any case, the weather at the weekend is looking good, i.e.
poor for seeing seabirds, with light winds so your chances are not good.

Enroute from Melbourne stop off at Mornington Harbour. Today there was at
least 60 WHITE-FRONTED TERNS there. This is a reliable site for the species
every August but this is an exceptional number. I don't recall ever seeing
so many at one site anywhere in Australia before!

And whilst talking about seabird concentrations, on the other side of Port
Phillip Bay close inshore at Port Arlington on the Bellarine Peninsula on
Friday 27 August there was a feeding frenzy consisting mainly of 600
FLUTTERING SHEARWATERS & 1,2OO-1,500 GANNETS.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136