birding-aus

Meliphagidae Phylogeny, was new Christides and Boles

To: <>
Subject: Meliphagidae Phylogeny, was new Christides and Boles
From: "Stuart Cooney" <>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 07:56:11 +1000
Amy Driskell and Les have just published on this matter.  If you're
interested its a great read:

Phylogeny and evolution of the Australo-Papuan honeyeaters (Passeriformes,
Meliphagidae).

Driskell AC, Christidis L.

Division of Birds, Field Museum, 1400 S. Lake Shore Dr., Chicago, IL 60605,
USA.

We analyzed nucleotide variation at four loci for 75 species to produce a
phylogenetic hypothesis for the Meliphagidae, and to examine the evolution
and biogeographic history of the Meliphagidae. Both maximum parsimony and
Bayesian methods of phylogenetic analysis were employed. The family was
found to be monophyletic, though the genera Certhionyx, Anthochaera, and
Phylidonyris were not. Four major clades were recovered and the spinebills
(Acanthorhynchus) formed the sister clade to the remainder of the family in
most analyses. The Australian endemic arid-adapted chats (Epthianura,
Ashbyia) were found to be nested deeply within the family Meliphagidae. No
evidence was found to support the hypothesis of separate New Guinean and
Australian endemic radiations, nor of a close phylogenetic relationship
between taxa from the New Guinea highlands and those from Australian
northern rainforests.

Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2004 Jun;31(3):943-60.

Let me know if you want me to email a pdf copy to you (its big though
977kb).

Stuart Cooney
www.babblersnest.com
Birdline Victoria