birding-aus

New Christidis & Boles

Subject: New Christidis & Boles
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:29:07 +0800

I have been waiting for over a year hoping the new list would be released as soon as the species had been determined for the final volume of HANZAB.

I need the list for a number of projects that I am doing for the Birds Australia WA group. I am cataloguing their slide, digital images and laminated picture libraries. I am also updating the WA checklist card used for our WA database. The taxonomic list also affects the Sightings page on the web site, and the RENs used in WA Bird Notes.

We use Christidis & Boles 1994 for all the above, because this is a single source to reference. It is too difficult to use C&B plus changes from HANZAB, plus maybe (some of) Schodde, etc, etc. One simple difficulty is that I also need the Atlas number, and some of the possible changes are missing numbers.

I am aware that there are likely to be changes to seabirds (albatrosses in particular), Western Wattlebird, two grasswrens, etc. There will probably be world splits for species like (Australian) Painted Snipe, Australasian Pipit, Australian Reed-warbler, etc. We in the west are proposing name changes for Carnaby's and Baudin's Black-Cockatoos as these names are used by all the recovery projects and therefore are the names now accepted by most people.

The national BA web site has a list updated from C&B 1994, but it only has a few of the changes, and it isn't the taxonomic list being used for the Ongoing Atlas project, so it can't be that official.

Jim Downey from BA visited WA in May, but unfortunately I was away in the south west. I had left a question about when would C&B be updated, but somehow the question must have been misinterpreted as the answer passed on to me was about something different.

I gather that it is unlikely that C&B will be updated, as Les Christidis has a new job that would make it difficult for him to put in the time.

While in the best of worlds, there would be a full reference work published such as C&B 1994, I would be happy just to see the latest agreed taxonomic list to be used by the Ongoing Atlas project. The reasons behind the changes could be left for a future time.

Now that the last volume of HANZAB is being prepared, can a new full taxonomic list please be released (along with Atlas numbers). I assume that HANZAB has a Taxonomic Committee that can update the taxonomy used for the early volumes.