birding-aus

Re: Spring migrants

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: Spring migrants
From: "Penny Drake-Brockman" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:27:51 +1000
Dear all

White-throated Gerygones sing here in Gloucester throughout the winter!  This surprised me as I thought they all flew north. Or at least fell silent. On 12th August heard my first Sacred Kingfisher of the season, and last week the family of Grey-crowned Babblers who nest in and around the Cemetery and Glos Water Tower at the south end of town, fledged two nestlings. There is much more bird song and a lot of courting activity from most of the birds I see from the back deck of my house, including a pair of Brown Cuckoo-Doves who have taken up residence in my neighbour's block of trees. And the Satin Bower-bird male is working overtime bower building and guarding his territory, when he is not pursuing a green bird (presumed female) up to the tops of the trees and then off across to the casuarinas along the Gloucester River. Never a dull moment....!