birding-aus

Swift Parrots still present on the NSW Central Coast

To: <>
Subject: Swift Parrots still present on the NSW Central Coast
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:34:06 +1000
SWIFT PARROTS STILL ON THE NSW CENTRAL COAST

On Saturday morning 21 August 2004 along with Pasha and Yasha Ponomarenko, I
checked out the sites where Swift Parrots have been seen over the past month
in the north-east section of Wyong Shire. Our first stop was at Macumba
Reserve, Buff Point, but while travelling along Buff Point Avenue to reach
the Reserve we saw and heard small groups of Swift Parrots which were
feeding in flowering Forest Red Gum. We did a 20 minute, 2 ha count of all
the birds in and around Macumba Reserve, which is located on the foreshore
of Buff Point, on Budgewoi Lake, one of the lakes in the Tuggerah Lakes
system. There were approximately 60 Swift Parrots feeding here, along with
Noisy Friarbirds and Noisy Miners both of which chased Swift Parrots away
from the blossom but there were many more Swifties than these two large
honeyeaters. There were also Yellow-faced Honeyeaters and Rainbow Lorikeets
feeding on the blossom too. Both Whistling Kites and Sea-Eagles passed over
ther site during the 20 minutes.

Returning back along Buff Point Ave , about 500m from the Reserve we saw and
heard another 10 Swift Parrots, and we also did a bit of a drive around the
busy Budgewoi Shopping Centre, where we were certain we could hear a few
Swift Parrots calling above the din! We then stopped for another 20 minutes
at nearby McKenzie Reserve, Budgewoi and saw and heard 8 Swift Parrots that
came to the flowering Forest Red Gums in this Reserve. So 80+ Swift Parrots
for the morning was not a bad total!

Finally two Swift Parrots were back in Murray Street, Bateau Bay today,
after about an absence of two weeks, where we have one flowering Forest Red
Gum and many Blackbutts with lerps.

Alan Morris