birding-aus

memory card problems

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: memory card problems
From: Koren Mitchell <>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:03:53 +0800
I had a similar problem recently, where a CF card from my digital camera had a data error. I was able to recover most of the photos using software that I downloaded from the web.

Because memory cards work in a similar way to hard drives in the way they store data, data can be recovered from them in a similar way to recovering deleted or corrupt files from a hard drive using something like Nortons. There are various programs, free and not, that have been written specifically to recover data from memory card.

Unfortunately, I downloaded a couple of different programs and can't remember which one I actually used to recover my photos. The ones that I have installed on my computer are:
PC Inspector Smart Recovery, from www.convar.de
GetDataBack, from http://www.runtime.org
so I'm pretty sure it was one of these.

Hopefully, nothing that you or the photo lab has done has made any modifications to the card that will prevent data recovery. Give these programs a try. As long as you don't write anything to the card, nothing that you try will risk losing whatever is on there.

Good luck,

Koren Mitchell
Hong Kong