birding-aus

Australian Hobby seen in North Kew

To: Bill Stent <>
Subject: Australian Hobby seen in North Kew
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:24:48 +1000
Bill Stent wrote:

> I saw a hobby - possibly the same one - over the Collingwood
> Children's farm
> at about 7am.
>
> It spooked the noisy miners something awful!

In the last two or three weeks I have repeatedly seen an Aust. Hobby
near the intersection of Burke Rd and Doncaster Rd (Kew/Balwyn North,
Vic.)
  Amazing what you see from a car - and last week when stationary on
Burke Rd Bridge, c. 5 pm, I noticed a very small bird in dead twigs
above the bridge railing a little way ahead - as traffic moved again, I
put the leftside window down and was just able to pick a glimpse of the
spotty wings, yellow throat and beak silhouette of a Spotted Pardalote
as I moved off slowly.
  Birdwatching while driving should of course be exercised with great
caution.

Anthea Fleming