birding-aus

Strange Magpie behaviour

To: JohanMeliza Malherbe <>
Subject: Strange Magpie behaviour
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 09:49:32 +1000 (EST)
G'day Meliza,

As a generalisation:
I assume it's a young magpie being berated by the magpie clan for either stepping out of line (stealing food etc etc) or doing something that is know to cause harm to magpies.

Ooroo and Abba bewt day John in Sunny Victoria ...

JohanMeliza Malherbe <> wrote:

I am a fairly new resident of Brisbane (and Australia) and have noticed some very strange behaviour of the Magpies in my garden.  We have a group of around 15 Magpies living in and around our garden.  Every now and again one of them would lie on it's back with feet kicking in the air and the others then start pecking at it.  They would take turns to lie down.  We have also noticed a few Currowongs who joins in the pecking.  What on earth are these birds doing?

Meliza

JAG waddles off singing:
"Owl can I live with sorry?"
"Owl can I live until tomorrow,"