birding-aus

Cuckoos at Fyansford near Geelong

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Cuckoos at Fyansford near Geelong
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:54:40 +1000
Quite true. It is also the case in Canberra. Here is the relevant extract from my 130 page book Canberra Birds: A Report on the first 21 years of the Garden Bird Survey.

CUCKOOS

Four fairly common species (and two less so), all show a similar occurrence pattern. They are all migrants, though some more so than others, arriving in spring and become fairly conspicuous by their calling, then observations decline. Most species have average group size as close to one. All local species are nest parasites. Fledglings being fed by foster parents are conspicuous by the noise they make. They and newly independent juveniles can be difficult to identify, so many may not be recorded. They pass through the city during late summer.

(other species deleted)

Fan-tailed Cuckoo Cacomantis flabelliformis

This is a forest and woodland inhabitant. It is less migratory than other cuckoos, so its monthly pattern, although typical of cuckoos, is much less well defined. This species is quite vocal, especially during spring. However the call is probably not as far-carrying as Pallid or Brush Cuckoo. From a mid winter low with very few observations, numbers increase sharply from August to a peak in October, then decline quickly till December, staying in even reduced numbers through summer and autumn before declining to the winter low. Numbers have declined significantly, at about half the abundance from Years 12 to 21 as for the first 11 years.

Graphs on page: 95, Rank: 66, Breeding Rank: 84, A = 0.01168, F = 15.43%, W = 18.3, R = 1.113%, G = 1.05.

Philip

ps Please note the plural of cuckoo is cuckoos (NOT cuckoo's)!