birding-aus

Human Diet and Bird Habitats

To: <>
Subject: Human Diet and Bird Habitats
From: "Mike" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:05:44 +1000
Dear Bird students

         Tim said  " For one example, some people
> have
> pointed out that, since we do not have the internal flora to digest
> grass,
> while it takes 10 kilos of grass to build one kilo of meat, using
> cattle (or
> Kangaroos) to digest the grass is the only option for much of the land
> (and
> the sea for that mater as we can hardly graze plankton).

Tim made some valid points but this is not all negative for some grasses such
as corn, wheat, oats, rye, barley and rice are good sustaining food and will
grow where grasses with smaller grain heads do and if we eat them directly we
can gain much energy.  I think Tim was concentrating on the grasses that
mammals with internal flora & fauna to digest cellulose can handle.  If we
utilise the grains as our remain source of energy and protein we also need to
eat some nuts and legumes to obtain the 10 essential amino acids - and somehow
get the world's human population down.

In the meantime ..... Happy birding.

Mike

Prof Mike Tarburton