birding-aus

Re: My ?? Baer's Pochard ?? photos

Subject: Re: My ?? Baer's Pochard ?? photos
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:18:40 +1000

Hi All,

I went through all my photos last night and tried to pick up on distinguishing markings of hardhead or pochard.

I couldn't find anything to suggest it was a Baer's Pochard over Hardhead.

People with more ID experience than me have commented on the photo's and believe its a Hardhead.

But this is not to say my duck on a rock, is the same as others duck on a rock???

What i find interesting is that Fred Peirce reported the noticable absence of Hardheads from the WTP in April.

http://menura.cse.unsw.edu.au:64800/2004/04/msg00077.html

Is it possible, that a standout  lone hardhead (with an unreserved position on a rock)has been over analysed and turned into something its not?

What type of evidence do we have to substantiate a Baer's Pochard? Is there any photo's out there showing pochard features?( green head, streaked flanks)

Is there any experience out there  to show that in strong light a hardheads plumage may emit a green tinge?

Peter