birding-aus

Dogs at Lake Francis?!?

To: <>
Subject: Dogs at Lake Francis?!?
From: "Karen Pearson" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 06:44:49 +1000
Although I've been back in Sydney only a short time, I've spent a fair
amount of it walking/running alongside my daughter riding her young pony.
Ku-ring-gai National Park has a specific, well maintained and signposted
17km length of trails for the 100's of horses that live in the Terrey
Hills/Duffys Forest area.  It is shared with walkers and mountain bikes,
who, so far,  I've found to all be very courteous and go out of there way to
ensure our pony, with its eyes near popping out of its head, isn't given too
much of a fright by something she has had very little experience of.  They
all stop and wait for us to slowly make our way past.

Twenty years ago when I was regularly horse riding in the same park our main
worry was VERY loud motor trail bikes, almost on every ride, so I'm glad it
is only the pushbike variety these days.  We did have a horseriding permit
system introduced which was $30 ?? per year (towards maintenance of the
trails) and you had to display your permit/badge while riding.  This seems
no longer in operation and I'm not sure when/why it stopped.   Spending a
lot of time in my early twenties horseriding in the park and before that in
other areas is, I believe, why I have an appreciation and love of the
outdoors and through various other interests that developed, is one of the
reasons I have pursued nature/birdwatching activities.   I wouldn't want to
deprive my daughter of this same journey.

I don't think a blanket ban is the way to go.... especially in these days of
obesity/inactivity, especially for the young.  I'd be more inclinded to
think education, or either separate riding areas would be a fairer go.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers,
Karen