birding-aus

Dogs at Lake Francis?!?

Subject: Dogs at Lake Francis?!?
From: Craig Williams <>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 15:56:18 +1000
Key point I have to agree with you Dave, lets not even start on trail bikes
etc.  Its all difficult territory.

And there are many ways of birders and perhaps many types of birders if we want
to get into the analysis of serious leisure pursuits, so nope I'm certainly not
adopting the moral high ground here.  My perspective, for example, is centred
on being in some sense/s "with" the birds: I've yet to flesh out the
ethico-political philosophy in clear terms.  If you know any publishers with
some cash sitting about, I'm very interested in working at the question though!

cw

>>> Dave Torr <> 07/05/04 15:06 PM >>>
As a (I hope) responsible dog owner and also a keen birder I have been
following this debate with interest. I have seen a dog walker take two
(unleashed) large dogs into the Dandenong Ranges NP (outside Melbourne)
right under the nose of a ranger - she cahllenged him but his response was a
polite "I always do this" and he walked on - and she had no real means of
challenging him.

I am concerned at the moment in a battle to stop a development of around
7000 people on the fringe of a remnant grey-box forest outside Melbourne -
the developers assure us the forest will be safe because there will be signs
up prohibiting dog walking.....

But on the other hand (slightly tongue in cheek) let us not push "user pays"
too far or I can see councils eagerly putting a levy on birders going into
the parks. After all - as a dog owner I pay (an admittedly small) amount to
my council which partly funds the parks I use to walk my dogs. WHereas as a
birder I pay nothing (apart from my permit for the local sewage treatment
plant).

And we have not even started on the trail bike riders, mountain bike riders,
horses ...

And are ALL birders always totally ethical about not going on private land
without permission etc.....

The realities are that we have insufficient space (in this vast open
country) to meet the conflicting demands of users and compromises have to be
made. Education programs, signage etc are all useful - but I suspect that in
many cases the "problem users" can't read! Enforcement is an answer - but
unless the fines for non-enforcement are made realistic councils will claim
it can't be done - and in around 35 years of dog ownership in four countries
I don't think I have ever seen a "dog ranger" - let alone been asked to see
if my pets are licensed.