birding-aus

South of England-trip report-not too long.

To: <>
Subject: South of England-trip report-not too long.
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 23:04:03 +1000
Returned to my birdwatching roots for two weeks recently (a family trip with
plenty of birding!) and enjoyed my time immensely.
>From a purely birding perspective it's a relatively quiet time with spring
migration over and autumn only just starting for a few waders.
But for wildflowers and luxuriant vegetation it doesn't get much better. The
bright green canopy of the woodlands is so dense that the forest floor is
quite dark even on a sunny day,beautiful to gaze skywards.
My first outing was a local one to some downlands near Coulsdon,Surrey on
the outskirts of London. These areas were cleared for grazing 1000's of
years ago,long enough for a diverse flora to evolve.Without continued
grazing they revert to scrub and then woodland again so an active management
is required. The best of these chalk grasslands can support 25+ species of
terrestrial orchid and an amazing diversity of species per square metre (60
rings a bell but don't quote me on that).Happy valley has woodland,scrub and
open downs,no rare birds but I was happy with Jays,Great Spotted
Woodpeckers,Nuthatches,Bullfinch(a stunning bird) and Yellowhammers.A few
summer visitors too,Whitethroats,Blackcaps,Chiffchaffs and Common Swifts.And
a Robin in full song amongst the shade of the forest floor-magical.
 Next I indulged myself with a visit to Dungeness in the extreme SE of
Kent.Mainly known as a migration watchpoint and a rarity hotspot (not in
late June!) but some interest anytime at the RSPB reserve consisting of
manmade gravel pits ,scrubland and reedbeds.
Always worth a look here is an area of sea known as "The Patch" where a warm
water outfall from the nuclear power station attracts large numbers of Gulls
and Terns.One of a surprising number of bird species that are actually
increasing in the UK is the Mediterranean Gull which I was lucky enough to
see a few of,in summer plumage no less.
My next outing was a local pilgrimige again,Beddington Sewage Farm near
Croydon. Totally surrounded by crowded London this site is an oasis of peace
and quiet(wonder why?).A stronghold for Tree Sparrows with about 100 pairs
this year despite much of the open sludge beds being converted to gravel
pits and landfill.50 years ago this was a major site for Snipe in winter but
those days have gone however it still attracts good numbers of passage
waders. Green Sandpipers can be seen here nearly all year despite being a
non-breeder in England, with a short period of a few weeks from late May to
late June when they are usually absent.I recorded 4 there plus Little ringed
Plovers,Lapwings,Northern Shoveler,Reed and Sedge Warblers,Reed
Buntings,Grey Wagtails and a Sparrowhawk(one of a number of raptors that are
recovering in numbers in Britain from persecution, and chemical
poisoning).Through the input of local birdwatchers the area has been
recognised for it's wildlife value and much work is being done there
including a 50,000 pound Sand Martin bank!(some interest shown by the birds
this year i'm told).Excuse the pun.
I spent a couple of days enjoying the Swale estuary and it's adjacent
marshes in North Kent(includes Elmley RSPB reserve on the Isle of Sheppey)
The numbers of 2 species in particular blew me away,Marsh Harriers were
absolutely everywhere.20 to 30 pairs on Sheppey alone,a population booming.
And secondly Little Egrets.They've gone from being a reportable rarity to
fairly common in southern England and breeding also.Nice to see some success
stories and not just hear about population crashes.22 Spotted redshank,most
in full summer plumage were recent arrivals and a highlight.The rough
grazing land intesected by dykes and pools was alive with
Lapwings,Redshank,Yellow wagtails and Meadow pipits.There were young birds
everywhere I looked,a successful season it seems.About 60 species recorded
here.
I managed time to visit two more of my favourite areas,the first being
Thursley common in SW Surrey. This is one of a number of heathlands in
Surrey and possibly the most interesting as it also includes a boggy area
where 26sp of Dragonfly can be found...more than half of the species found
in Britain.Unfortunately it was cold and overcast the morning I was there
and nothing was flying!
However the birds made up for that.Dartford Warblers have gone from being
scarce to common throughout the heath and have spread their range widely in
southern England in recent years.(due to a lack of severe winters).It's
getting more and more like the Meditteranean all the time! I was lucky to
see a family of Woodlarks,a family of Redstarts and a Marsh Tit
also.Heathland is also a result of mans interference with the original
"wildwood" of days long past, but due to the poor nature of the sandy soils
various heaths now dominate.The attempted recolonisation by birch and pine
is everywhere and so again to maintain the rich diversity that has adapted
here active management is required.
And lastly,one of the largest reedbeds in southern England at Stodmarsh east
of Canterbury in Kent.This is a gem of a place with many rare or scarce
breeding birds ,and a atmosphere full of life and abundance.
Bitterns,Bearded Tits and Cetti's Warblers all appear to be doing well,8
Little Egrets together at one hide amazed me, but the locals seemed used to
them now.A European Hobby hunted for some time at close range,picking
dragonflies from the water's surface and skimming across the reedbeds hoping
to pluck some unsuspecting warbler.....and Marsh harriers.
A nightingale sang briefly after lunch,not it's main performance time I
think and along the Stour river with its lush green overgrown banks a Common
Tern hawked to within a few metres in the sunshine,unconcerned by my
presence,and then there's the Kingfishers.
Needless to say I enjoyed my visit.
Cheers,Simon Starr.