birding-aus

Seaham Nature Reserve, east of Newcastle NSW

To: <>
Subject: Seaham Nature Reserve, east of Newcastle NSW
From: "Penny Drake-Brockman" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:43:58 +1000
Dear Birding aussers

On my way home Sunday 20 6.04 from the Hunter Birds Observers new members BBQ at the Wetland Centre, Shortlands, dropped into see what was happening at Seaham, from 2.45-3.35pm.  No Blue-faced Honeyeaters as Edwin Vella found recently, but I did see 3 really nice species - Rose Robin male and while I was checking out the Scarlet Honeyeaters at the top of a river gum just coming into flower, a Little Eagle circled overhead. It was fairly quiet on the water, no nesting Cattle Egret for one thing, with 6 Grey Teal, 3 Black Duck, 1 Pink-eared Duck, 14 Royal Spoonbills, 8 Pelicans, 2 Aust.Grebe, 2 Hardhead and 1 female Darter, as well as Coot, Purple Swamp-hens and Moorhens.