birding-aus

[no subject]

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
From: (Majordomo)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:20:39 +1000 (EST)
SMTPSVC;
         Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:51:01 -0700
From: "Simon Hotmail" <>
To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: *****SPAM***** Marine wildlife cruise to shelf off Merimbula
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:58:10 +1000

Hi,

Given the success of organising trips out of Eden in the last few
years, =
we've decided to up the stakes a little. We have made a booking of
'True =
Blue', a 16m sea-cat (see =
http://www.acr.net.au/~merimbulamarina/true_blue.htm) fully licensed
for =
whale-watching.

The trip is scheduled for January 15th-16th. This is not the time of =
year when humpback whales are present but is the peak for sightings and
=
strandings of beaked whales, which are the focus of the trip. Amongst =
other things, probable Arnoux's beaked whales / southern bottlenose =
whales have been recorded along this coastline at this time by tuna =
flights in the past. About 25 miles offshore are the Merimbula canyons,
=
where these animals have been seen. As with any wildlife cruise, there =
are no guarantees, but in the last few years we have seen pygmy killer =
whales, sperm whale, risso's dolphin, common dolphin, leatherback =
turtle, ocean sunfish and various seabirds on these trips. Mid-January =
is peak season and the weather is usually really good so we have the =
best chance of two days at sea - at other times of the year we usually =
get one.

What Sapphire Coast Fishing Charters is offering, is a package
including =
three nights accommodation (Friday, Saturday and Sunday night), lunch =
and two 9 hour trips out to the shelf for between about $280.00-340.00 =
per person (we split the cost of the charter between all present, so
the =
final price will be dependent on final numbers). If we don't get out to
=
sea, then the cost reduces as we will not pay for boat charter.

We aim to take between 25 and 30 people. About half these places are =
available, so let me know asap if you wish to come. I should point out =
that myself and Dave Donnelly organise these trips but we take no =
responsibility for anyone other than ourselves, this being a private =
charter between everyone. The boat leaves about 7:00am in the morning =
from the Merimbula lake jetty and returns about 4pm. Accommodation is =
provided by Sapphire Coast Fishing Charters and the rest is up to you. =
Money is paid directly to the charter operator - though we usually end =
up collating it.

If we don't get out, there are numerous alternatives including some =
great snorkelling and diving sites as well as rainforest birding or =
simply the pub!

Spaces are strictly on a first come first served basis, so get in quick!

All the best,

Simon Mustoe.