birding-aus

Spotted Quail-thrush behaviour

To: "Carol Probets" <>, <>
Subject: Spotted Quail-thrush behaviour
From: "Colin Driscoll" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:53:51 +1000
Carol, I wonder if the Quail Thrush were using ants as insecticide (for
lice). I've seen Noisy Miners picking up ants and rubbing them under their
wings and on their backs as a form of insecticide- the formic acid or
similar I guess- that ants exude when agitated. We think we're smart with
our inseticide spays and the birds have been doing it for many thousands of
years. I've also seen the Superb Fairy-wren doing the same thing with meat
ants- darting onto the mound and grabbing one.

Cheers

Colin