birding-aus

Albatross Race

To: <>
Subject: Albatross Race
From: "Timothy Hyde" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:06:01 +1000
Firstly, let me say that I think the great Albatross race must be deemed a
huge success in raising awareness of the birds and their challenges.

But really, what a schemozzle.
18 birds start
14 birds officially now "off-line"
and of those 4 birds left , 2 have not transmitted moves for days
and will soon be likely to be "black dotted".

Just bad luck? Let down badly by the technology?

And what about the ever-changing Rules? As they say in the Rules (viewable
on the site) satellite tracking is an inexact science, but really Organisers
& Ladbrokes seem to be making up the rules as they go along. The "last known
position" counts towards winning the race as stated on the website, now
seems to be overruled by a "birds disqualified if they don't transmit for 7
days" rule that doesn't seem to be stated in the published rules. If no
transmitter crosses the line the rules say the most westerly position
recorded wins. The Chief Steward now states in his commentary, the most
westerly bird, Aphrodite, is disqualified from winning, but they will payout
if it does cross the line.

Heck, it doesn't matter to me, my would be winnings are being donated back
to the foundation ( Aphrodite & Xanadu both at 9/1 to win) but it just adds
to the feeling of a great idea that wasn't properly implemented.

Oh well, back to finding Regents.
Have a safe long weekend.

Timothy Hyde
Blue Mountains / Capertee Valley